Round table “The rights of National Communities in Contemporary Ukrainian Society” dedicated to the International Human Rights Day.
December 10, 2014
The round table “The rights of national communities in contemporary Ukrainian society” dedicated to the International Human Rights Day took place in the Kiev National University named after Shevchenko on December 10, 2014.
This round table was organized by the Assembly of nationalities of Ukraine and All-Ukrainian Charitable Fund “To You” (ACF 2U).
Among participants there were:
- Rovshan Tagiyev, Chairman of the Assembly of Nationalities of Ukraine;
- Julia Goldenberg, ACF 2U Board Chair;
- Yuriy Reshetnikov,head of the Committee on Ethnic Politics, Religion and foreign Ukrainians Secretariat of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine;
- Vasyl Kostytsky, Chairman of the National Expert Commission for public morals protection;
- Oles Dony, MP of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine VII convocation;
- Arkady Monastyrskiy, President of the Jewish Forum of Ukraine
- Alexander Kharchenko, Kiev city council deputy, et al.
The roundtable was held in order to ensure the public’s right to participate in political decision-making process and to analyze the level of protection of the rights and freedoms of national communities in modern society, including their correlation to international standards and obligations of Ukraine.
At this stage, there is a need for a system satisfaction of the rights of national communities at the national and regional levels, the involvement of representatives of national groups in consultations that will allow the state to demonstrate the level of maturity of the democratic system in the country, show interest in establishing an effective dialogue with the public and build a systematic approach to help to ensure human rights and fulfill the obligations of the country. It includes the duties of the state authorities to meet the basic rights and freedoms of citizens of Ukraine.
The outcome of the Round Table – all suggestions and recommendations presented by the participants – will be forwarded to the Administration of the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.